Saturday, June 8, 2019

Free and Pay-What-You-Want 5e DMs Guild Highlights: Week Ending 6.8.19

Every week, talented creators upload products to the DMs Guild, pricing them as free or pay-what-you-want in order to reach customers. Dozens of new free and pwyw products are added each week alone. It is a lot to sort through. My hope is that highlighting a few of each week's best supplements will help the designers get the attention they deserve.

You can find previous posts in this series HERE.

One cool thing about the DMs Guild is that creators often release a lot of material to support current storylines. The first three products for today would all be useful in a Saltmarsh/nautical campaign. 





Shorter previews of longer products are sometimes throwaways, but this is an exception. What you have here are ten encounters taken from a much longer supplement, 101 Seafaring Encounters. The author utilizes ideas drawn from 4e's skill challenges, offering some creative scenarios for a Saltmarsh/nautical campaign. I really appreciated the monster and magic item index at the back. Bonus points for using a dragon turtle. 


Saltmarsh Ship Battle Maps and Sheet from Louis Porter Jr. 



This is my favorite ship sheet that I have seen so far. Really clean and easy to read. Also includes some maps with the different "levels" of a ship. 





Woah! GMs are getting spoiled today! These six nautical "encounters" are more like mini-adventures. I really liked the "Gray Matter" encounter...reminded me of Creepshow 2. If you have ever seen it, you will know what I mean. Anyway, if you dig this, consider purchasing the other two in the series HERE and HERE





You had me at "zombie cat familiar".


Secret Spells of Gravity Magic from Art of Karthik



I absolutely LOVED this short collection of physics-inspired spells. Pull foes into an elliptical orbit, then let em' fly with Newton's Slingshot. Warp gravity and vanish with Pound-Rebka's Slow Time. Great stuff...but that Sphere of Annihilation material component is gonna be tricky. 

If you enjoy my free zinepodcast, and/or blog, please consider supporting my work for only $1 per month. 

No comments:

Post a Comment