Saturday, February 15, 2020

Free and Pay-What-You-Want 5e DMs Guild Highlights: Week Ending 2.15.20

Every week, talented creators upload Dungeons and Dragons products to the DMs Guild, pricing them as free or pay-what-you-want in order to reach customers. Dozens of new free and pwyw products are added each week alone. It is a lot to sort through. My hope is that highlighting a few of each week's best supplements will help the designers get the attention they deserve.

You can find previous posts in this series HERE.




Curse of Strahd Vallaki Propaganda Posters from Luka Lock



Curse of Strahd Vallaki Festival Posters from Luka Lock

I soooo wish I had these back when I was running Curse of Strahd. The propaganda posters in particular would add wonderful flavor and a bit of humor to any CoS campaign. Grab these if you are running it or are planning to in the future.



Locke and Key: Keyhouse Maps from Jeremy Christensen


I know nothing about these comic books and I haven't seen the Netflix show. I don't even know what these have to do with D&D. What I do know is that this is a high quality set of "manor" maps, very usable for a variety of different games.



Spell Tattoo from Heath Israel


I like the ideas presented in this brief supplement (two pages of actual content). Spell tattoos kind of work like scrolls. There is a spell tattoo artist background and some pricing ideas. This made me envision a villain with tons of spell tattoos, or maybe some wizard school where all of the members are just covered in these. Free.



Divok's Pamphlet of Epic Mini-Boss Monsters from Divok


This interesting monster supplement introduces the idea of "epic actions", basically weaker legendary actions that have to occur in a specific order. A common complaint I see about 5e is how easily solo monsters can get locked down. If you are looking for new ways to challenge your players, you might want to take a look at some of these creative concepts. Free.



5e Encounter: The Behemoth Strikes from Stephen Bull


I have featured a lot of Stephen Bull's products, as they have a lot of great ideas. This "encounter", really a mini-adventure, would make for an excellent campaign starter. A godzilla-like creature is attacking the town! There are a bunch of ways to involve the PCs, from dealing with widespread panic, to dodging falling rubble, to freeing trapped civilians. Sort of feels like the beginning of Tyranny of Dragons; in fact, I might combine the two down the line. Good stuff.


If you enjoy my free zinepodcast, and/or blog, please consider supporting my work for only $1 per month.



No comments:

Post a Comment