Friday, December 7, 2012

A Little Friday Trap Action



Hello. A very short post today just to show you a few more examples of the traps from my upcoming zine. I posted some ideas a bit ago about it. The basic idea is that traps don't scale; the same trap can threaten PCs of all levels. Instead of traps rolling to hit PCs, the PCs roll saving throws. The damage expressions stay constant regardless of tier, so you don't need 30 different pit traps. I hope you like them!




Hallucinatory Gas
“Get them off me!”, he screamed. “They are crawling all over me!”
-Detect: Perception to notice small vents in walls.
-Disable: Thievery
-Trigger: A creature enters a trapped square, triggering the gas.
-Effect: Each creature that breathes within a given area must roll a saving throw. A creature trained in
Endurance gets a +2 bonus to the roll. On a failed save, each creature is slid adjacent to their nearest ally, making an At-Will attack of the DMs choice against them as a Free Action.

Magnet Trap
The next thing I knew, I was hurtling towards the center of the room. I smashed into the
the pillar, cracking a rib.

-Detect: Typically the magnetized object will be in plain sight.
-Disable: The magnet must be destroyed by repeated blows or avoided.
-Trigger: A creature wearing metallic armor enters a space within 10 squares (50 feet) of the magnet.
-Effect: The creature must make a saving throw. A creature trained in Acrobatics gains a +2 bonus to the roll. On a failed save, the creature is pulled rapidly towards the magnet, crashing into it for 20 damage. A creature can move at half-speed away from the magnet, but must make a saving throw at the end of each of its turns or be pulled back again.

Acid Spray
My nostrils were burning..then I realized my arm was missing. I screamed...
-Detect: Nature to identify smell from a distance; Perception to notice jets.
-Disable: Thievery
-Trigger: A creature enters a trapped square, triggering the jets.
-Effect: Each creature within a given area must make a saving throw. On a failed save, a creature drops to its bloodied value and permanently loses a limb. Roll 1d4 (1-2=Arm, 3-4=Leg).

4 comments:

  1. Haha, great stuff! I'm just imagining telling my players they don't have a leg anymore. Hahahahaha. "This isn't the 4e I signed up for."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I would make the loss of a limb kinda like the disease progression. Someone trained in Heal (either the victim or a nearby party member) could give +2 bonus on saves. Failed saves indicate loss of a healing surge or set amount of H.P. Third failed save you lost your leg until you can go to the troll shamans who jealously guard their knowledge of regeneration rituals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can quest for a carpenter that specializes in peglegs.

      Delete
  3. I like acid spray. I think you could have expanded the table though e.g.: 1: Ear, 2: Jaw, 3: Nose, 4: Eye, 5: Hair, 6: Hand, 7: Knee, 8: Foot, 9: Lips, 10: Testicles. ;)

    ReplyDelete